3/02/2014


Click

I never saw myself as a Sorority Girl. Well, maybe not never, there was a period when I was little where I watched Legally Blonde everyday, but for the most part I didn't think I would fit the lifestyle as I got older. It wasn't for me. When I got to JMU, I was even more solidified in my ways.Nope, not for me. I learned that real-life college campuses didn't have Elle Woods style sororities with big pillars and pink lined everything. I guess I saw sororities as more of a caricature and less of a potential college pathway. Despite this, my inner 10-year-old begged me to go through recruitment, if only just to say I had done so. So I did. If I’m being totally honest here, I seemed to be struggling that the whole week with making a connection with any of 11 sororities. Sorry 10-year-old Emma, it’s not going to work out, you’re going have to live out your Elle Woods fantasy somewhere else. By the very last night of recruitment I was tired, I had homework to do, my voice was basicaly gone, and I felt lonely and out of place. I was reluctant to even go to the Delta Gamma house on pref night since by that point, I was determined to not pledge. But I’m glad I did. For the first time in a long week, I had a wonderful, heartfelt conversation with someone I felt was interesting to talk to, and wanted to know more about me past what my major was and where I lived on campus. Connection. That was what I had been craving. The stereotypes of sororities make our connections seem so superficial and meaningless, and honestly, recruitment only made me feel that is was just that. But finally! I had made a connection! I think sometimes that it’s unfair we can only talk to a few people at a time during recruitment, because a lot of people only talk to people they don’t connect with and it gives them the wrong impression of a certain chapter.Maybe there was someone in that sorority who you would have loved, but instead you are left with someone who rubs you the wrong way. You’ll never know really. It’s sad. I don’t know if I necessarily believe in love at first sight, but I believe that there is a click you have when you meet people. It leaves you wondering if you are where you’re meant to be at the end of the day. But as I've grown in my chapter, I feel that click with more and more people. And although I didn't really love any sorority at first sight, I love Delta Gamma now. I've felt that click several times, and each one reassures me of my place and links me with another sister that will be my stronghold to my own personal anchor. I look forward to getting to know our new sisters, and can’t wait to help find my own people to click with next Fall when I finally get to recruit!

Happy Spring break everyone!


Written by Emma O'Brien, who is a member of the Fall 13 new member class. She is majoring in English and hopes to use her degree to teach one day.





No comments:

Post a Comment