3/16/2011

Sister Spotlight: Emily Mullen!

Emily by the water in a small seaside town called Livorno in Italy

Name: Emily Mullen
Year: Junior
Major: SCOM with a double concentration in PR and Health Communication
Year in DG: 3rd
Past positions in DG: VP Social Standards 2010

Fun fact: In every new European city I travel to, I love to check out the candy/chocolate aisles of local grocery stores. You never know what they're going to have, and some of them have great candy on sale for cheap!

Where are you studying abroad? The beautiful Florence, Italy!


What do you love most about it? Definitely the opportunity to meet new people and make new friends. All of the people on the trip from JMU are so friendly and open; it's been a great experience. I especially love getting to try the cuisines (pizza, pasta, croque madames, goulash, wienerschnitzel (yes, I did try that and it was delicious!)... and, of course, gelato and other dessert items :) ) from all of the places I've been. I also love how easy it is to travel in Europe - weekend trips by train are so easy to do!

What do you miss most about being away from sisters? I miss the constant fooling around and laughing. My sisters know me so well- I can't wait to come home in a few weeks (!!!) and reconnect with all my friends and the new girls! I also miss having people come into my room to ask for chocolate.
Have you gotten any great gifts/visits from sisters while being away? The wonderful Caroline Willis was here in Florence over spring break, and it was so nice to see her! We went out to dinner one night, followed by gelato, and it was like being back at JMU. Except we ate better food. I also love to Skype, and have had some Skype chats with sisters since being away. If anyone wants to talk- my Skype address is Mullenec. Look me up!!

How are you living the ritual/sharing your DG pride while being abroad? There are a lot of girls in the program that are in different sororities, and we always like to talk about our chapters and how they're so different, but still similar. I'm making connections, so next semester we can continue making new friends in other sororities! :)
I live the ritual every day by keeping in contact with my sisters despite the distance, always being there for them, and supporting our chapter from Italy.

What advice do you have for others who want to go abroad? It seems scary at first, especially if (like me) you leave without knowing anyone. But just go with an open mind and ready to make new friends and the time will literally fly. I also recommend researching travel options before you leave the country, because trying to plan stuff last minute in Europe is super tricky. Other than that, ignore the calorie count and have a blast!


Emily in front of a Black Light Theater show in Prague, Czech Republic

Emily in London!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment